Re: Scholar's Forum: A New Model For Scholarly Communication

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 11:49:22 +0100

At 03:19 PM 5/3/99 +0100, Stevan Harnad wrote:
>sh> First, let me make it explicit, as I have done before, that the CalTech
>sh> initiative is very welcome and should be supported. Let us in no way
>sh> balkanize our efforts over minor local differences. The overall idea is
>sh> excellent, timely, and should be pursued with energy and speed.
>>
>pg> (yes. but sometimes too many mentions of "short-sighted banalities",
>pg> "empty nonsense", "content-free", "amateurism and quackery" tend to
>pg> exaggerate the "minor local differences".)
>
>Fair enough. I'll curb the cavils lest they be misused by the
>opponents of free archiving. (I think Steve Koonin knows that my
>critique is intended to be a constructive one, and that once the weak
>parts of the Cal Tech proposal are removed, it could form the basis for
>a very powerful and important initiative that could play a historic
>international role in hydrating a thirsty Global Academy.)

Stevan, I think Paul makes a good point. Some of the terminology
creates an impression of disarray which is unfortunate as there are points
of agreement too. It's worth noting that a number of publishers 'listen in'
to these debates. Seeing this they will sleep soundly in their beds with
little incentive to participate in any new approaches, which is not what
you want. Concentrate on the non-exclusive open source model, and that will
sound the wake-up call.

Steve Hitchcock
Open Journal Project
Multimedia Research Group, Department of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (01)703 593256 Fax: +44 (01)703 592865
Open Journal Project Web page http://journals.ecs.soton.ac.uk/
"Bringing journals alive on the World Wide Web"