Re: Citation-Linking

From: Stevan Harnad <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:01:23 +0100

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Professor L.W. Hurtado wrote:

> This is especially directed to Stevan Harnad re: his proposal that
> authors of refereed journal articles should self-archive their final-
> form articles and thus make them accessible on the Web. It is a
> small but practical question:
> At least in the Humanities disiciplines, journal articles can be of
> significant length (perhaps longer than most "hard" science
> articles), often 15-30pp or even more. Now a full citation
> requirement = author, article title, journal, vol., year, and pp. of the
> article and the specific p. of the portion being cited/quoted. In
> paper form articles have such page numbers. Would/do self-
> archived articles have the vol. & page numbers borne by the
> articles in the paper-print journal? I assume so.

Yes of course -- as long as they last. Once journals are online-only,
only paragraph numbers will be relevant.

> If not (e.g., if what
> is archived is a pre-print form), then someone citing the Web
> version would have no fixed citation point (rather like not having
> standardized latitude-longitude for giving location). Now in "pure"
> (i.e., e-form only/original) electronic publication, as we know,
> various e-form markers are put in (e.g., numbered paragraphs, or
> even page numbers of the Web formatted version). But when an
> essay appears also in paper-form, won't it be important for any
> citation to enable a researcher to find and verify the citation
> quickly, and isn't the ideal to have some citation format that allows
> the researcher to verify either/both the paper-form and the e-form?
> (This is obviously a simple request for information/suggestion and
> not offered as an antagonistic question.) Larry Hurtado

Vide supra.

In the transition, there will be self-archived versions that are not
page images (because images are nonoptimal and non-searchable, and
because in some cases they, or PDF, may be proprietary). In such cases
the self-archived non-paginated version will do just as well, can
be checked, where needed, against the "authentic version," and will
become the eventual standard anyway.

There are no substantive issues here.

Stevan Harnad
Professor of Cognitive Science
Department of Electronics and phone: +44 2380 592-582
Computer Science fax: +44 2380 592-865
University of Southampton
Highfield, Southampton