Re: Library cancelations

From: Katherine Porter <Porter_at_LIBRARY.VANDERBILT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:17:26 -0600

> The fact that APS
hasn't noticed many cancellations attributable to
> LANL suggests only that universities are willing to sacrifice small
> fry physics as bait for a big kill in the life and social sciences.
>
> Albert Henderson

Having been a part of several "big kills," I think there is another
interpretation possible. These activities seem to target the
sciences like physics and chemistry, not social sciences or
humanities, because dumping a small number of titles gets big bucks
where cancelling 100 humanities titles might get you $1000 savings.
In no way is Physics a "small fry" in cancellation days, at least not
at any institution I am familiar with. It is entirely possible that
APS has seen fewer cancellations because libraries (yes, WE got to
choose the titles, not the administration) are willing to keep even
multiple access points to important journals and axe those of less
local value. As a chemistry librarian, I would have to say that the
journals of the key societies in the field would endure in my
collection even after many other titles were gone.

Kitty Porter

Kitty Porter
Stevenson Science & Engineering Library
419 21st Avenue South