Re: BioMed Central and new publishing models

From: Fytton Rowland <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:59:26 +0000

At 10:07 AM 1/24/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Fytton Rowland wrote:
>> It says below that the services of BioMed Central will be free of charge.
>> How will it cover its costs?
>It covers its costs many times over if it saves significant money on
>library budgets partly covered by NIH grants. This was a bit more
>explicit in Harold Varmus' initial proposal - it's about saving system
>costs. BioMed Central won't cost all that much to set up or operate

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I understand PubMed Central --
which is what I think Arthur Smith is talking about, and is run by NIH. I
was asking about BioMed Central (and I think the confusion between the two
names is perfectly deliberate!), which is run by a commercial organisation,
Current Science -- which being commercial needs to derive some income from

Fytton Rowland

Fytton Rowland, M.A., Ph.D., F.I.Inf.Sc., Lecturer,
Deputy Director of Undergraduate Programmes and
Programme Tutor for Publishing with English,
Department of Information Science,
Loughborough University,
Loughborough, Leics LE11 3TU, UK.

Phone +44 (0) 1509 223039 Fax +44 (0) 1509 223053