CogPrints Open Archive Awarded First of 8000 Psychological Science Sites

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:38:10 +0000

  CogPrints Open Archive Awarded First of 8000 Psychological Science Sites
    <http://www.psychologicalscience.net/psych/award/index.html>

Dear Colleagues,

I bring this award to your attention not out of puffery (who knows what
such awards mean?) but for the following three reasons, of which the
third is by far the most important:

    (1) Whatever it means, it is surely a vote of confidence for Open
    Archiving: <http://www.openarchives.org/>

    (2) It means that CogPrints <http://cogprints.soton.ac.uk/>
    is likely to be used still more heavily.

    (3) I hope this will encourage ever more authors in Cognitive
    Science (Psychology, Neuroscience, Behavioral Biology, Artificial
    Intelligence, Linguistics, Philosophy) to publicly self-archive
    their papers in CogPrints, both pre- and post-refereeing, in order
    to maximise its accessibility and research impact.
    <http://www.dlib.org/dlib/december99/12harnad.html>

If you already have your papers in your departmental or laboratory
online archive, deposit copies in CogPrints for greater visibility and
accessibility. If your papers are not on the Web yet at all, it is
extremely simple to deposit them in CogPrints; if you haven't the time,
any student can do it for you in a few minutes.

Open Archives also already exist in Physics <http://arXiv.org/>
Generic software will shortly be available for other disciplines
(e.g., http://www.eprints.org/).

Stevan Harnad harnad_at_cogsci.soton.ac.uk
Professor of Cognitive Science harnad_at_princeton.edu
Department of Electronics and phone: +44 23-80 592-582
Computer Science fax: +44 23-80 592-865
University of Southampton http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/
Highfield, Southampton http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/
SO17 1BJ UNITED KINGDOM