ClinMed NetPrints

From: Jim Till <till_at_OCI.UTORONTO.CA>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 01:01:21 -0400

A search for eprints posted at the ClinMed NetPrints website (at
http://clinmed.netprints.org/home.dtl) yielded a total of 13 eprints posted
between December 13, 1999 and March 21, 2000.

I posted one of them. The abstract (at:
http://clinmed.netprints.org/cgi/content/abstract/2000010010) is entitled:
"Peer review in a post-eprints world".

In the article, I assumed that rejection rates of the kind experienced as a
result of conventional peer review shouldn't be a problem for eprints. This
assumption appears to be incorrect for NetPrints. If the code numbers
assigned to NetPrints are assigned sequentially, then it appears that at
least 32 eprints were submitted to the ClinMed NetPrints website between
December 13, 1999 and March 21, 2000. Of these, only 13 have been posted.
Thus, the acceptance rate appears to be about 40%. It seems that, so far,
the rejection rates for ClinMed NetPrints have been quite high.

It's also noteworthy that the number of 'rapid responses' to the posted
NetPrints seems to have been very low. Not what I would have predicted.

Jim Till
Joint Centre for Bioethics
University of Toronto