Re: EPRINTS = PREPRINTS (unrefereed) + POSTPRINTS (refereed)

From: Declan Butler, Nature <d.butler_at_NATURE-FRANCE.COM>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 16:11:41 +0200

Might not systems like ResearchIndex be part of the solution to this
problem? http://www.researchindex.com
Declan
The extract below is from (free access)
http://helix.nature.com/webmatters/search/search.html

Searches for researchers
But what about search engines designed specifically for scientists? NEC's
prototype, called ResearchIndex, gathers fragmented scientific resources
from around the web, and automatically organizes them within a citation
index. And unlike most search engines, ResearchIndex retrieves PDF (portable
document format) and postscript files, widely used by scientists to format
manuscripts. It starts by querying dozens of popular search engines for a
series of terms likely to be associated with scientific pages, such as
'PDF', or 'proceedings'. Hundreds of thousands of scientific papers can be
located quickly in this way, says Lawrence.

ResearchIndex uses simple rules based on the formatting of a document to
extract the title, abstract, author and references of any research paper it
finds. It recognizes the various forms of presenting bibliographies, and by
comparing these with its database of other articles can conduct automatic
citation analyses for all the papers it indexes. This information can also
be used to quickly identify articles related to any indexed paper.

The prototype form of ResearchIndex is being applied to the computer
sciences. Its archive of papers in this subject alone, at 270,000 articles,
is bigger than leading online scientific archives such as the Highwire
Press, which has almost 150,000 articles, and the Los Alamos archive of
physics preprints, which contains about 130,000 papers. The engine already
has an enthusiastic following among computer scientists. Stevan Harnad of
the University of Southampton, who has tested the system on his CogPrints
archive of preprints in the cognitive sciences, is another convert. "For the
literature it covers, it is a gold mine," he says.

NEC is giving the software free to non-commercial users, and Lawrence hopes
it will be applied across many disciplines: "Our goal is to not just create
another digital library of scientific literature, but to provide algorithms,
techniques and software that can be widely used to help improve
communication and progress in science."