Re: problem of the Ginsparg Archive as self-archiving model

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 17:16:52 -0400

The problem for libraries is maintaining access to the material during the
transition. While the conventionally published literature exists, and
while this is the form that must be cited, libraries must provide it. As
we all know, most or all libraries, including mine, increasingly do not
have the money to do so.
Thus the expedients with consortia, payment schemes, article-by-article
pricing and the like, none of which will solve the problem.
What will solve the problem is the adoption of a radically less
expensive way of publishing the material in the first place. That
means the rapid accomplishment of the transition.

I think we all agree on this, and should
therefore devote our efforts to actually accomplishing replications
(including variations and
experiments) of the basic proven model. We know it will basically work;
once we see what forms work best then we can develop the new
system further.

As for publishers, I always give them the same advice about what they
should do:
stop publishing unneeded and unaffordable journals, and go back to
publishing books.
We will then have the money to buy them.

David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman_at_princeton.edu 609-258-3235