Why hep-th has 40% red-links

From: Tim Brody <tdb198_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:57:49 +0100

[Note In the discussion that follows, "red-links" means citation links
from a citing paper in LANL to the cited paper's LANL pre-print
reference number (e.g.hep-th/9906001, may or may not also contain
published data) For a demo,see : http://arabica.ecs.soton.ac.uk/demo.html

    Excerpt from: http://www.aip.org/pt/vol-53/iss-8/p35.html

    "Some of my colleagues in Santa Barbara--the string theorists, for
    example, and several of my coworkers in condensed matter theory as
    well--insist that they don't need The Physical Review. For research
    purposes, they don't need refereed print journals at all. They are
    producing remarkable results this way, so I take them very
    seriously."

    "What they are doing is using the Los Alamos e-print archive for
    all of their research communications. They check it every day for
    new information. They post all their papers there, cite references
    by archive number, use the search engine to find other papers, and
    need little or no other publication services."

I don't know whether "string theory" is hep-th, but it would look like a
credible explanation why hep-th has such high "hits" for red-links,
compared to hep-ph (which is a area of similar size and lineage).

Perhaps this is a rule that can be extended to all theoretical science -
that theory does not demand the same level of "invisible hand" rigure as
more practical research.

Tim Brody
Computer Science, University of Southampton
email: tdb198_at_soton.ac.uk
Web: http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~tdb198/