Re: Replies to questions about "electronic journals"

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:43:01 +0100

At 12:02 29/09/00 +0100, Stevan Harnad wrote:
> [...]

What you get online through the hybrid model is often a very poor
representation of a true online journal. Many of the advantages of the
electronic journals (1)-(9) cited above are either lost, or made more
difficult to achieve. There are strong reasons for this hybrid model to
evolve very slowly, or very expensively. Let's hope it's not the worst
examples, e.g. online print replicas, that authors and readers are becoming
used to, but rather better examples, such as BMJ.

>So I think that online-only journals will only prevail (almost by
>definition) if and when there is no more demand for the on-paper
>edition, and ALL journals become online-only. Brand-new online-only
>journal start-ups NOW are not an especially interesting proposition
>except when they happen to have unique features that the established
>journals lack (such as a specialty niche that would immediately benefit
>from online multimedia features, etc.)

This is a limited view of online-only journals. What about, e.g. JHEP?
http://jhep.sissa.it/
Its niche is not unique; it's not primarily a multimedia journal. It
embodies most of the advantages of the electronic journals (1)-(9) cited at
the beginning of your mail.

Psycoloquy, D-Lib, etc., succeed but not because of specialty
niche/multimedia criteria either. We could do with more of these type of
e-only journals though.

The problem for many online-only journals is that they are electronic
*format* but print journal in concept, i.e. they only differ only in
delivery mechanism, which isn't sufficiently distinctive.

For different reasons, both the hybrid model and many online-only journals
are too reverential to the established journal model. Those who want
electronic journals to achieve (1)-(9), especially (9), have to be more
open to new models.

Steve Hitchcock
Open Citation (OpCit) Project <http://opcit.eprints.org/>
IAM Research Group, Department of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3256 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865