Re: Recent Comments by Albert Henderson

From: Katherine Porter <Porter_at_LIBRARY.VANDERBILT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 10:00:23 -0600

No librarian in their right mind would admit such a thing to you
because of the overhanging threat of a lawsuit.
As the judge said, no one would use this as a single decision-
making tool, but cost per some unit of issue/article/word can be
very helpful in making decisions about subscription (print or
electronic) vs document delivery.
Mr. Henderson has been having this discussion on various lists for
over 2 years now. In addition to Ken Rouse, David Flaxbart has
written a really good rebuttal in Issues in Science and Technology
Librarianship:
http://www.library.ucsb.edu/istl/98-fall/article3.html

So please can we move on here.

Kitty Porter

> The idea of kilowords per dollar has become a dark joke.
> I have been unable to get any librarian to admit
> to using kilowords per dollar as an acquisitions tool.
>

> Albert Henderson
> Editor, PUBLISHING RESEARCH QUARTERLY 1994-2000
> <70244.1532_at_compuserve.com>
>
> .
> .
> .