Re: Central vs. Distributed Archives

From: Thomas Krichel <t.krichel_at_SURREY.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 19:49:00 +0900

  Greg Kuperberg writes

> But I disagree entirely with the claim that distributed
> interoperability has never been tried before. It has been tried several
> times, whole-heartedly with these two projects:
> And it has been a factor in many other projects, including Hypatia
> and the AMS preprint server. Some of these projects are more
> successful than others, but *all* of them suffer from inconstancy
> of the underlying archives.

  The largest project that has been done with a distributed
  interoperability is RePEc. RePEc catalogs 110000 items now.
  While there is the occasional case that an archive my become
  obsolete, from about 140 archives, I think 5 have been made obsolete,
  i.e. have been moved to a place outside the original archive
  maintainer's control. Thus while it is problem, it is not a minor one.
  It is by far outweight by other advantages, such as distributed costs,
  minimum quality control, and wide community partipation.

  Thomas Krichel

  2000-10-05 to 2001-01-06:
  Institute for Economic Research / Hitotsubashi University
  2-1 Naka / Kunitachi / Tokyo 186-8603 / Japan / +81(0)42 580 8349