Wording of Statement to Indemnify Eprint Archives

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:02:18 +0000

Below is my suggested text for "indemnifying" (if that's the right word)
Eprint Archives, in the case of both self-archiving and 2nd-party
archiving of public domain material.

I would be grateful for any legal help on the exact wording:

In clicking the button confirming the depositing of the archived
material, the following statements appear and the archiver must
click to indicate acceptance:

(1) Self-Archiving of author's own intellectual property

(2) 2nd-Party Archiving of public domain material

I hereby grant (sitename) the right to store this collection of files and
associated bibiliographic metadata and to make them permanently
available publicly on-line. I declare that this material is my own
intellectual property and I understand that (sitename) does not
assume any responsibility if there is any breach of copyright in
distributing these files or metadata.

I hereby declare that the collection of files and associated
bibiliographic metadata that I am archiving at (sitename) is in the
public domain. I accept full responsibility for any breach of copyright
that distributing these files or metadata may entail.

Stevan Harnad harnad_at_cogsci.soton.ac.uk
Professor of Cognitive Science harnad_at_princeton.edu
Department of Electronics and phone: +44 23-80 592-582
             Computer Science fax: +44 23-80 592-865
University of Southampton http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/
Highfield, Southampton http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/

NOTE: A complete archive of the ongoing discussion of providing free
access to the refereed journal literature online is available at the
American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00):

You may join the list at the site above.

Discussion can be posted to: