Re: Number of pre-prints relative to journal literature?

From: Stevan Harnad <>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 13:11:50 +0000

> I am curious about the statistics concerning the number of e-prints relative
> to the journal literature. Harnad repeatedly mentions that LANL archive
> contains 40% of the journal literature at present and compares it to 20% of
> the math archive.

Here's one way to estimate it for the physics arXiv: percentage of
current citations by papers in within arXiv not papers not within
arXiv (courtesy of Les Carr, Zhuoan Jiao, Tim Brody & Ian Hickmen):

There are other ways to estimate it too. See:

For an estimate of what percentage of the current maths literature is
in the maths arXiv, I will let Greg Kuperberg reply.

Stevan Harnad
Professor of Cognitive Science
Department of Electronics and phone: +44 23-80 592-582
             Computer Science fax: +44 23-80 592-865
University of Southampton
Highfield, Southampton

NOTE: A complete archive of the ongoing discussion of providing free
access to the refereed journal literature online is available at the
American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00):

You may join the list at the site above.

Discussion can be posted to: