Re: Eprints Open Archive Software

From: Stevan Harnad <>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:05:43 +0000

This is to announce that, to coincide with today's Open Meeting in
Washington to announce the release of OAI 1.0:

we have simultaneously released the OAI 1.0-compliant version of the archive-creating software Eprints Version 1.1.1

The eprints software (originally created by Matt Hemus as CogPrints
<>, and then extensively re-designed for
OA-compliance and generality by Robert Tansley, and recently upgraded
to OAI 1.0 by Chris Gutteridge, all at Southampton University) has been
made as flexible and adaptable as possible, so that all universities
and research institutions can immediately adopt and configure it with
minimal effort for all disciplines. Hence it complements centralised,
discipline-based archiving with distributed, institution-based

The generic version of eprints is fully interoperable with all other
OAI-compliant Open Archives. This means that it no longer matters where
papers are archived: The papers in all OAI-compliant Archives can be
harvested using the OAI protocol
into one global "virtual archive" by Open Archives Service Providers
such as the Cross Archive Searching Service

Below are the most recent features, followed by a testimonial from
California Digital Libraries, one of the early adopters of the software, and some relevant chronology and URLs/

Note that all existing Eprints Archives can be upgraded to OAI
1.0-compliance with the new release. The software is free and will
shortly be open-sourced.

    How and Why to Free the Scholarly and Scientific Research
    Literature Online Through Author/Institution Self-Archiving

Stevan Harnad

    New features should be regarded as stable; they have been well
    tested but they have not yet been extensively tested "in the

    Key Upgrades include:
        OAI 1.0 compliance
        support for MySQL not running on localhost
        support for multiple instances of eprints running on
                one mod_perl/apache server (1.0 claimed to do this
                but had some problems)
        new datafield "username" representing users to associate
                the item with.

        mod_perl namespace collisions with multiple eprints (mentioned
        removed GNU-only command options from installation scripts.

    Please remember to use the online bug tracking system for reporting

    Note the new logo (symbolic of piecing together the global Eprint Archive
    out of the individual OAI-compliant ones)