Re: List of journals currently allowing self-archiving?

From: Stevan Harnad <>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:43:12 +0000

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Christopher G. Prince wrote:

> I am in the process of lobbying my academic institution to provide and
> support an Eprints server and associated infrastructure. So far progress has
> mainly consisted of a meeting with our library director and a few of his
> staff. We are setting up a meeting with the Subcommittee on Information
> Technology and Library here in a week or so also. One of the questions the
> library director asked was: how many journals currently have copyrights that
> allow self-archiving? Is anyone collecting such a list?
> Christopher G. Prince, Ph.D.
> University of Minnesota Duluth
> Department of Computer Science
> 320 Heller Hall, 10 University Drive
> Duluth, MN 55812 USA (218) 726-6514

I will let others reply about whether they have such a list. I do not,
because I do not advocate favouring journals with favourable copyright
policies: Authors should try to get the journal of their choice to
modify their copyright agreement:

But failing that, they should self-archive anyway, using the completely
legal "Harnad/Oppenheim" Strategy:"Harnad/Oppenheim strategy")

Good luck setting up Eprints at UMn-D!

Stevan Harnad
Professor of Cognitive Science
Department of Electronics and phone: +44 23-80 592-582
             Computer Science fax: +44 23-80 592-865
University of Southampton
Highfield, Southampton

NOTE: A complete archive of the ongoing discussion of providing free
access to the refereed journal literature online is available at the
American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01):

You may join the list at the site above.

Discussion can be posted to: