ePrint Repositories

From: Catherine Candee <catherine.candee_at_ucop.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 09:39:49 +0000

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:34:00 +0800
From: Catherine Candee <catherine.candee_at_ucop.edu>
      Director, Scholarly Communication Initiatives
      California Digital Library
      University of California

To eScholarship Partners:

A number of you have inquired about eScholarship's ePrint Repositories,
so I am taking the liberty of assuming this will be of interest to the
group.

A few points about ePrint archives:

(1) The prototype repositories which have just been established are a
core piece of the infrastructure for the eScholarship experiment. From
the start, eScholarship has been the focus of CDL's effort to exploit
the possibilities of digital technologies to meet the needs and desires
of faculty and researchers, and to promote fundamental change in the
scholarly communication system. We believe that discipline-based
archives which encourage self-publishing hold great promise for
stimulating open dissemination of scholarship, for focusing and
simplifying the problem of persistent access to that scholarship, and
for expanding the possibilities for integration within and across
disciplines.

(2) We are able to offer the repositories at this time because of the
timely development and release of excellent self-archiving software
called "ePrints" by the Electronics and Computer Science Department of
the University of Southampton. The software is already running under
Cogprints, the Cognitive Science ePrints Archive, and is inter-operable
with other Open Archive Initiative (OAI) compliant archives. There is