Re: ePrint Repositories

From: Simon Buckingham Shum <S.Buckingham.Shum_at_OPEN.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:49:41 +0000

At 9:39 am +0000 26/1/01, Catherine Candee wrote:
[http://listserver.sigmaxi.org/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind01&L=september98-forum&O=D&F=l&P=4034]
>(3) The first three repositories are being made available ...and
>distinct peer-reviewed scholarly products will be drawn from or
>associated with them.

I assume that this means peer reviewed publications as a
quality-controlled overlay on the raw ePrint archive, as opposed to
'software products' for conducting/managing peer review?

At 10:28 am +0000 26/1/01, Stevan Harnad wrote:
>There are some ongoing experiments with "open review," where it is
>self-appointed commentators' feedback that is being used to validate
>preprints, but these experiments are far too small, and it is far too
>early, to judge whether they have been successful in generating papers
>of quality and useability anywhere comparable to those generated by
>undergoing classical peer review.

Two responses to the above points, on [1] process, and [2]
infrastructure to enable it.

1. OPEN PEER REVIEW PROCESS

We have developed a web-mediated, hybrid eJournal review process
which is more Open than some Open models.

Reviewers are:

- APPOINTED (for their expertise and commitment to review the submission)
- NAMED (though they can post anonymously)
- and ANSWERABLE (encouraged to discuss a submission with
   EACH OTHER and AUTHORS, who are relieved to have the RIGHT OF REPLY)
- this is initially a PRIVATE forum

If it clears this phase, the submission is added to the main journal
website as a PrePrint Under Review, and goes into:

- PUBLIC open peer review, announced to relevant communities,
   inviting them to view the discussion, and contribute their own insights.

You can see how this has been implemented in Jnl. Interactive Media
in Education:
    http://www-jime.open.ac.uk

Reflections on this action research experiment can be found at:
    http://www-jime.open.ac.uk/about.html#reading

2. INFRASTRUCTURE

The above is only possible with web publishing support. Our "Digital
Document Discourse Environment" (D3E) [http://d3e.open.ac.uk]
implements peer review forums tightly linked to a document, and we
are moving slowly towards a version for free distribution. We will be
discussing potential convergence with OAI at the March workshop on
OAI and Peer Review Journals [http://documents.cern.ch/OAi/].

Anyone wishing to receive future D3E announcements is welcome to drop
us a line.

Cheers,

Simon & Tammy

Tamara Sumner
    Center for LifeLong Learning & Design & Dept. Computer Science
    University of Colorado at Boulder, U.S.A.
    http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~sumner
Simon Buckingham Shum
    Knowledge Media Institute, The Open University, U.K.
    http://kmi.open.ac.uk/sbs