DOI

From: Leslie Chan <chan_at_scar.utoronto.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:38:07 +0000

    [ Posted to American Scientist Forum
    with permission ]

Dear Guillermo,

    [ See Guillermo Julio Padron Gonzalez's
    query below about http://www.doi.org/ ]

You are correct in saying that DOI is an improvement in the way
electronic documents are identified and accessed. The predominant
method of identifying documents by their URLs is highly unstable and
the DOI is meant to provide each document with a "persistent" and
"unique" identification. DOI is also a means for copyright holders to
protect their intellectual properties and keep track of their usage. As
such I think the commercial publishers are rightly interested in
developing DOI schema for their products.

However, for scholarly or scientific publishers who wish to have their
publications easily searchable, interoperable and interlinkable with
other publications, DOI is neither sufficient nor necessary. My
interpretation of the CrossRef consortium and its proposed use of DOI
is that the interlinking schema is an exclusionary one in that unless
you are a member of the CrossRef group, your publications will not be
interoperable with theirs. As CrossRef is dominated by large
multinational publishers who hold a near monopoly on science
publishing, and they have a decidedly loud voice of how the DOI
standard is to be applied, this is what I take Stevan Harnad to meant
as "click-through monopoly." (I am copying this message to Stevan in
case I have misinterpreted Stevan's intent.)

You may wish to read the following two publications by Stevan as I
believe he and his colleagues discussed some aspects of the DOI in
these articles, as well as the importance of open linking schemas:

   http://www.dlib.org/dlib/december99/12harnad.html
   http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/harnad00.acm.htm

If you wish to learn more about some of the other open linking
initiatives and their underlying principles, you may wish to read a
couple of articles by Herbert Van de Sompel, who is very much involved
with the Open Archive initiatives <www.openarchives.org>

    Reference Linking in a Hybrid Library Environment: Part 1:
    Frameworks for Linking

    http://www.dlib.org/dlib/april99/van_de_sompel/04van_de_sompel-pt1.html

    Reference Linking in a Hybrid Library Environment Part 2: SFX, a
    Generic Linking Solution

    http://www.dlib.org/dlib/april99/van_de_sompel/04van_de_sompel-pt2.html

Hope this is of some help.

Best regards