Re: Validation of posted archives

From: Greg Kuperberg <greg_at_MATH.UCDAVIS.EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:20:33 -0800

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 06:18:42PM -0500, Albert Henderson wrote:
> In short, I would not be so sure that LANL's service is not
> "filled with rubbish."

It takes some chutzpah for an outsider to speculate that established,
self-respecting authors are writing rubbish. Indeed there is no good
reason to speculate at all, since it's all out in the open. For example
here are the 19 articles (+ 5 cross-listings) in the geometric topology
category in the math arXiv in February:

Which ones are "rubbish"? The one by Alexander Dranishnikov? The two
by Stavros Garoufalidis and Jerome Levine? The one by Hugh Morton?
I know these people. Whatever shortcoming of their work you have in
mind, I'd be happy to let them know.

> LANL's most effective feature perhaps is its use of
> XXX -- an insignia that keeps out children who are protected by
> parental controls from Internet peril.

xxx means different things in different contexts and serious researchers
have never cared all that much. But it was finally enough of a
distraction that they did get rid of it. That's why it's called the
arXiv now. The recommended web address is is
kept only for the sake of old URLs.
  /\  Greg Kuperberg (UC Davis)
 /  \
 \  / Visit the Math ArXiv Front at
  \/  * All the math that's fit to e-print *