Re: PostGutenberg Copyrights and Wrongs for Give-Away Research

From: Sally Morris <sec-gen_at_ALPSP.ORG>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 18:00:56 +0100

Perhaps I can set the record straight.

ALPSP has not (at least in the past 3 years) surveyed journals' copyright
policies, although in 1998/9, the Association did carry out a study of
journal authors (not publishers) who had recently contributed to a mixture
of commercial and non-commercial journals. We asked, among other things,
what they thought about copyright retention. 38.1% felt that copyright
should be transferred to the society or publisher, but full redistribution
rights retained by the author. 38% felt that copyright should be retained
by the author, but full publishing rights granted to the society or other
publisher. 23.4% felt that copyright should be retained by the author, and
only limited publishing rights granted to the society/publisher. 4.8% felt
copyright should be retained by the author's employer and full publishing
rights granted to the society/publisher; 2.8% were for copyright retention
by employer, limited rights
to society/publisher. 2.3% were for copyright retention by funding body,
full publishing rights to society/publisher and 1.2% for copyright retention
by funding body, limited rights to society/publisher. Interestingly, an
overwhelming 79.5% of respondents did not find that reaching agreement with
publishers about copyright created any obstacle whatever to their publishing
objectives. There is information about the study, links to presentations
and articles about it and an order form for the complete report, at
http://www.alpsp.org/pub1.htm

As a result, however, of the indication that more than 60% of authors (more,
in fact, in the Humanities than in the Sciences) felt the author should
retain copyright, ALPSP has since developed and published a model 'grant of
licence' document which publishers might use to enable authors to retain
copyright, while granting to the publisher all the rights it needs. This
document can be found at http://www.alpsp.org/grantli.pdf, and an editorial
about it at
http://www.alpsp.org/cpyauth.pdf.

Sally

Sally Morris, Secretary-General
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK

Phone: 01903 871686 Fax: 01903 871457 E-mail: sec-gen_at_alpsp.org
ALPSP Website http://www.alpsp.org

Learned Publishing is now online, free of charge, at
www.learned-publishing.org