Re: PostGutenberg Copyrights and Wrongs for Give-Away Research

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:17:35 +0100

Alan, For the benefit of authors who may have little knowledge
of different rights but have probably heard of copyright, can you explain
briefly what copyright is and why retaining it may be of little use to the
author, as you suggest, in this example? Most authors will probably assume
that if they are allowed to retain copyright they are covered for uses such
self-archiving, class use, etc.

Comment on hard-copy rights below.

At 10:30 22/06/01 +0100, Alan Story wrote:
>The ALPSP may call their deal a "model licence"...but instead it should be
>called a "Model-T (as in circa 1930 Model-T Ford ) licence."
>
>Yes, the author gets the possibility of retaining copyright, but the
>publisher is assigned (at no cost to the publisher it should be underlined)
>ALL of the other rights, including digitalisation rights, re-publication
>rights, rights regarding non-profit educational uses of the work.
>
>Hence, AFTER hard copy publication ( and hence not conflicting with Harnad's
>"subversive proposal"), the publisher has the right to prevent any "open
>archiving" by an author(X) or her/his work and the right to charge the
>students of X's colleague a copyright royalty fee for the non-profit
>educational use of that article.
>
>In other words, a tiny tad better than the standard contract available with
>most commercial publishers...but still a Model T in the contemporary era.
>
>Any license should grant only one right to a publisher: a first hard-copy
>publication right. And not a tad more.

Now that most print journals have e-replicas, I assume such journals would
be unable to publish those papers for which they were granted only first
hard-copy right. Correct?

Steve