Re: PostGutenberg Copyrights and Wrongs for Give-Away Research

From: Stevan Harnad <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 15:04:08 +0100

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Thomas J. Walker wrote:

> sh >[I might add only that the distinction between "personal web home page"
> sh >and "e-print servers" is silly, incoherent, and hence untenable, but it
> sh >makes no difference, if it makes some people happy to put it that way...]
> There is distinction that to many authors may be important:
> E-print servers that are well stocked are a somewhat more convenient place
> to look for particular articles compared to hunting down the authors' home
> pages and looking there. Of greater consequence, researchers who are not
> looking for articles by the authors in question may find articles by them
> on that well-stocked e-print server, like them, and use them.

Quite right, and this is one of the principal rationales for the Open
Archives Initiative (OAI) and Eprints
archive-creating software

OAI provides a tagging standard that makes all registered OAI-compliant
Archives interoperable, hence harvestable across archives
so you need not know the URL of the paper or the

You just search them like one big virtual archive in a centralized
index: See

But the home-page/public distinction is moot, since authors can run
their own eprints servers too, and register them as OAI-compliant!

Stevan Harnad
Professor of Cognitive Science
Department of Electronics and phone: +44 23-80 592-582
             Computer Science fax: +44 23-80 592-865
University of Southampton
Highfield, Southampton