Re: PostGutenberg Copyrights and Wrongs for Give-Away Research

From: Alan Story <a.c.story_at_UKC.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 15:54:17 +0100

As soon as someone suggests " you know it really is a crazy system under
which commercial publishers acquire, at no cost, all intellectual property
rights to the work of authors which is produced by the often-unpaid labour
of academics (because they love their subject area) and by the money of
taxpayers (academic salaries, fellowships, libraries, prior education, etc.)
and student tuition fees" you get accused of taking "clearly an anti-library
anti-science position."

Not at all clear to me, Albert, just as it was not clear to a lot of people
some centuries that the earth was flat just because people said it was.

Alan Story
Kent Law School