Re: PubScience under threat

From: Stevan Harnad <>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:01:30 +0100

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Mark Doyle wrote:

> This "gov't should not be involved" is a slippery slope. What happens
> to funding for:
> 1) Harvard-Smithsonian's ADS service
> 2) PubMed, Medline, and PubMedCentral
> 3)
> All of these are more than worthy of gov't support in my opinion
> and so is PubSCIENCE. There is no mandate that out-moded
> business models should be preserved at all costs. To be
> sure this is the real point of attacking PubSCIENCE. SIIA wants
> to push us down that slope.

I agree completely, and would add only that distributed, international,
interoperable, university-based archiving, reliably mirrored,
duplicated and cached, will be our best hedge against any particular
centralized or governmental caprices in the future.

Stevan Harnad
Professor of Cognitive Science
Department of Electronics and phone: +44 23-80 592-582
             Computer Science fax: +44 23-80 592-865
University of Southampton
Highfield, Southampton

NOTE: A complete archive of the ongoing discussion of providing free
access to the refereed journal literature online is available at the
American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01):

You may join the list at the site above.

Discussion can be posted to: