Re: Elsevier's ChemWeb Preprint Archive

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:05:07 +0100

Jim, You are right, all statements to date on this seem to be
vague, professing support for OAi but not implementation yet. The key point
perhaps, especially as this is a preprint rather than an eprint archive, is
whether the journals, say those that accept papers from the CPS, are
willing to make data available through OAi. There is no reason why they
shouldn't, since for the last year OAi has explicitly had a digital library
scope rather than an eprint scope. Except they will have noted there
appears to be value in the metadata, currently being realised by CrossRef.
The only publisher, as far as I am aware, that is planning to make journals
data available through OAi is BioMed Central. Are there others?

Steve