Re: Update on Public Library of Science Initiative

From: Fytton Rowland <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 13:16:39 +0100

Two other current initiatives are relevant here. ICAAP is a mutual
slf-help organisation for newly established free e-journals (mostly in the
humanities). SPARC is a library-centred initiative to support the setting
up of lower-cost alternatives to overpriced journals. Have the PLoS
initiators tried to establish diplomatic relations with these other
organisations? SPARC journals aren't free, but might be willing to be

Fytton Rowland.

At 02:04 PM 9/2/01 +0100, you wrote:
>On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Stevan Harnad wrote:
>>On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Peter Suber wrote:
>> > The number of PLoS-compliant journals is about six. The exact number
>> > depends on how strictly one interprets compliance, but no matter how
>> > one interprets it, the number is small. Hence it appears that one PLoS
>> > strategy for moving forward will be to encourage the development of new
>> > (free online) journals.

.....[lots omitted]

>>So, while we wait, wondering, may I suggest that we use the time to
>>self-archive our research?
>> Harnad, S. (2001) For Whom the Gate Tolls? How and Why to Free the
>> Refereed Research Literature Online Through Author/Institution
>> Self-Archiving, Now.
> Stevan is right that we needn't wait for self-archiving, which is one
>of its most conspicuous advantages. Launching new (free, online) journals
>will definitely help the cause, but it will take time and self-archiving is
>available immediately. I didn't mean to suggest that we should launch new
>journals to the exclusion of self-archiving; both are desirable, and as
>strategies they complement one another.
> Peter
>Peter Suber, Professor of Philosophy
>Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana, 47374
>Editor, The Free Online Scholarship Newsletter

Fytton Rowland, M.A., Ph.D., F.I.Inf.Sc., Lecturer,
Deputy Director of Undergraduate Programmes and
Programme Tutor for Publishing with English,
Department of Information Science,
Loughborough University,
Loughborough, Leics LE11 3TU, UK.

Phone +44 (0) 1509 223039 Fax +44 (0) 1509 223053