Re: No Free Lunches: We Should Resist the Push to Rush Research Online

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 22:54:37 -0400

It seems clear to me that at research institutions, delayed publication of
significant journals will not be acceptable, even if only for a month or
two. Such institutions will continue to subscribe to avoid the delay.

Journals of less significance to a particular institution have been in
most cases cancelled long ago.
Of course, as prices rise, the line between essential and non-essential
will change.

Non-research colleges are increasingly using the aggregator packages
from Ebsco, Proquest, etc., in spite of their disadvantages, because of
the much lower price.

 David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman_at_princeton.edu 609-258-3235