Re: Entire Editoral Board Resigns En Masse

From: Selmer Bringsjord <brings_at_RPI.EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 11:13:11 -0400

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, C. Lee Giles wrote:

> Is this just the beginning or an aberration?
> [Journal Editorial Boartd Resignation/Migration]

Since you asked:

Neither (though I take your question). It's a recent step toward the
inevitable evaporation of what Stevan Harnad has rightly pointed out to be
obsolete. Anyone whose personal interests are served by the system this
resignation bucks should, even on the basis of shallow self-preservation,
shift gears ASAP. What's going on here isn't perfeclty in line w/ what
Harnad has been calling for, but it's intimately related for obvious
reasons. Tomorrow people'll look back and say: "It's amazing that so
many resisted what Harnad was seeking. How could they have been so dim?"
At present, I have little incentive to do anything over and above
self-archiving for certain topics. One polished paper suitably
self-archived w/ a few supporting emails, and w/i, say, 2 weeks, everyone
who's going to read the paper now has read it, from current students to
frontier-breaking researchers...

Cheers, //Selmer

   Selmer Bringsjord * selmer_at_rpi.edu * Professor
     Director, Minds & Machines Lab & Program
     Department of Cognitive Science
     Department of Computer Science
                   http://www.rpi.edu/~brings
   Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Troy New York 12180