Re: Entire Editoral Board Resigns En Masse

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_COGPRINTS.SOTON.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 19:24:54 +0100

Please see the clarification below of the chronology (and hence the
causal sequence) of the new Kluwer policy on author/institution
self-archiving online.

Leslie Pack Kaelbling, who founded the alternative Journal of Machine
Learning Research because of editorial board and author dissatisfaction
with Kluwer policy (particular policy on free online access), points
out that whereas it is true that the new Kluwer policy, permitting
author self-archiving of their refereed papers online, is a reasonable
one, and would have made it unnecessary to found an alternative
journal, it was only under pressure from the threat to resign and found
an alternative journal, and eventually the actual execution of that
threat, that Kluwer policy finally changed.

There is a lesson in this for journal publishers: Do not try to prevent
author/institution self-archiving. Not only is it in direct conflict
with what is in the best interests of research and researchers, and not
only does it risk losing the editorial board and forcing it to start up
a rival journal, as happened here in the case of Machine Learning, but
it is futile to try to stop it in any case, because author/institution
self-archiving of refereed research can already be done, perfectly
legally, even if the author is forced to sign the most restrictive of
copyright statements. See:

  6. How to get around restrictive copyright legally
  http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Tp/resolution.htm#Harnad/Oppenheim
  http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Tp/resolution.htm#7.5

So I stand corrected:

The petition/boycott/resignation/alternative-journal pressure serves a
further useful purpose inasmuch as it encourages publishers to update
their author self-archiving policies explicitly to realign them with
PostGutenberg reality. This is useful for helping to embolden those
authors who may be hesitating to self-archive their refereed papers
because of a (mis)perceived legal obstacle. The legal obstacle is
apparent, not real, in any case; but, human nature being what it is, it
could only help if the appearances were formally corrected.

Stevan Harnad