Re: Copyright: Form, Content, and Prepublication Incarnations

From: Joseph Pietro Riolo <riolo_at_VOICENET.COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 05:30:43 -0500

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_cogprints.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> But you can't publish his words and claim to be their author.

I can only if the original author sold his whole copyright
without any restriction to me. The point that I want to tell you
is that the U.S. copyright does not give the author, except for
the authors of visual art, the right of authorship.

> (Let us not get into the technical question of how many words, or how
> different they have to be to be no longer the author's words. Since we
> are concerned only with refereed research papers, if you publish my
> paper as your own, you are in violation of CA. Let's leave the questions
> of originality, priority, attribution, citation and credit to the
> referees, editors, patent offices, funding agencies and prize
> committees. Those are not copyright issues.)

If I publish your paper as my own, I am in violation of copyright
in respect to the right to reproduce. It has nothing to do with
authorship. If you grant me the permission to copy your paper
without any restriction, I can copy your paper and publish it as
my own work.

Joseph Pietro Riolo
<riolo_at_voicenet.com>

Public domain notice: I put all of my expressions in this
post in the public domain.