Re: Copyright: Form, Content, and Prepublication Incarnations

From: Richard Poynder <rich_p_at_DIAL.PIPEX.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:22:15 +0000

At 09:05 16/11/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>any are exploring innovative ways to do just that.
>
>Regarding Albert's contention that it is possible to track down all the
>pirate copies through Google, etc., these search engines only cover a
>minute proportion of all the Web pages out there.

That's true, Charles, but there are also of course a number of companies
developing intelligence services aimed at very specifically searching out
infringements of trademarks, logos, and copyrighted material such as
content, music etc. As I understand it, the client gives the intelligence
company a list of the copyrighted material they want to protect, and the
technology goes and sniffs it out over the web, through bulletin boards,
chatrooms etc. etc.

On the other hand, I don't know how effective these technologies yet are
(or will ever be), but the kind of companies offering these services
include Cyveillance, Envisonal and Marksmen.

Envisonal is monitoring over a million music tracks for IFPI I'm told.
However, as I say, I have no idea how effective this technology is, or how
effective enforcement would be, even if it were efficient at finding
infringements

Richard Poynder
Freelance Journalist
Phone: 0191-370-9277