Re: Beyond Access and Impact: The Ultimate Benefit of SkyReading/Writing

From: Joseph Ransdell <ransdell_at_DOOR.NET>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:20:26 -0600

If George Lundberg will trouble to read the message from me which he quotes
he will find that I point out explicitly that the review article is not what
is under discussion and explain why. (For his convenience, I include below
the paragraph in which I address this.) I can elaborate further on that if
the point is not clear. Perhaps I could suggest, too, that Lundberg might
want to re-read Harnad's account of the topic more closely as well, where it
seems to me to be clear enough, upon reflection at least, that Harnad is not
describing the function of review articles (nor talking about the use of
internet chat lines either, as Lundberg apparently thinks).

Thus George Lundberg wrote:

> The process and product being discussed has existed for aeons in the
> pre-internet age and continues to fluorish electronically. There is a wide
> appreciative audience. It is called "Review Article" or "Journalistic
> Report" or "Summary".

And I addressed this kind of misunderstanding in the following paragraph: