Re: The True Cost of the Essentials (Implementing Peer Review)

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:56:40 -0500

It may have cost $1000 to prepare an article for press in 1977.
Given that the editors and the reviewers services are free, and the
material is normally submitted in electronic form, how much should it cost
now?
What does the publisher need to do in pre-press besides copy-edit?

This is not the same as asking what the publisher does actually do, it
terms of advertising, public relations, appearance at conventions, and
maintaining a main office, all of which are customary business functions
but whose necessity is what we are questioning.

 David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman_at_princeton.edu 609-258-3235