Re: What exactly is the digital preservation problem?

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 00:13:04 -0500

It would seem to me much more practical from an economic and technical
standpoint to simply archive all scientific publications, including the
marginal ones, than to prepare

> content extractions (by the authors
> or experts) written with the aim at being concise, full content,
> understandable in the long run

This is not to denigrate the value of abstracts, reviews, modernized
textbooks, or all the other devices for dealing with the volume of
material, and the progress of a field. But the mechanical preservation of
at least everything worth publishing for the indefinite future is a
enormously simple and inexpensive problem by comparison.

It may help others to know that
http://publish.aps.org/IUPAP/program.html contains
the program for the Nov 2001 conference, but not the proceedings.
The report of the previous July 2001 working group is available at
http://www.iupap.org/finalrep.html

Dr. David Goodman, Princeton University Library
dgoodman_at_princeton.edu 609-258-3235