Re: Moral rights in corrigenda

From: Chris Zielinski <informania_at_SUPANET.COM>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 14:27:29 -0000

Stevan,

Consider the process in this exchange: you put forward your
"Harnad-Oppenheim corrigendum" idea as a way around the risk of being
liable for self-piracy, I point out that it is not practically workable,
and you say my evidence it is "needless hair-splitting"! If you find the
detail of what I have to say unnecessary, fair enough, but my
macro-point is that corrigenda won't work practically, which is more
than an inconvenience to the strategy.

Second point: you say "Preprints + corrigenda give [potential users]
substantive access, legally," as though this was a fact - but is there
any evidence that this would be legal? I have seen papers strengthened
so considerably by the review and editorial process that the author's
original is virtually useless compared with the final version. Much of
the intervening work is not legally the author's: to claim it would be
to expose yourself to litigation, while to ignore it could render your
work useless for scientific communication. A rock and a hard place.

Third point "If a copy editor has corrected your grammar and you are
worried about copyright, leave that correction out of your corrigenda":
a) I'm not worried about copyright, but rather moral rights; b) all this
picking and choosing about what to leave in and what to leave out is
precisely the exasperating "nitpicking" that your unworkable strategy
would demand.

Fourth point: "don't worry about the corrections from the referees: they
weren't paid for, and they won't sue you!" We are talking about moral
rights: being paid has nothing to do with it. When referees are
responding to a request from a journal editor, the tradition is
anonymity and an implied waiver of moral rights. But if an author were
to claim moral rights in respect of a significant contribution from a
referee, clearly distinguished and listed in a set of corrigenda, the
referee may well raise a hand or dispute the claim. If the concern for
making fraudulent claims of moral rights is shared by the author, and as
a result the referee-proposed corrigendum is not included, the
self-archived paper would end up being impoverished.

Note that I entirely support self-archiving as a way of freeing up
scholarly communication. The above remarks are offered in a constructive
spirit of helping to build a solid position, as there are evident
weaknesses at present.

Chris Zielinski
Director, Information Waystations and Staging Posts Network
18 Monks Orchard, Petersfield, Hants GU32 2JD, United Kingdom
Tel: Home: 0044-1730-301297 Office: 0044-1730-710324
Mobile: 0797-10-45354 Fax: 0044-1730-265398
e-mail: zielinski2002_at_cs.com and informania_at_supanet.com
web site: http://www.iwsp.org