Re: OAIster: A Harvester Across Multiple Institutional Eprint Archives

From: Kat Hagedorn <khage_at_umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:39:58 +0000

Hi all,

I'm a newbie on this list; I'm the metadata harvesting librarian at
University of Michigan Libraries Digital Library Production Service.
We've started a new service called OAIster designed to collect, index
and serve OAI-compliant metadata to a variety of users. You can see more
about our project at http://oaister.umdl.umich.edu/.

Many of you (if not all of you) are probably using eprints software to
self-archive your documents. I'm interested, as a service provider, in
collecting the metadata of your self-archives to place in our
repository. One of the biggest benefits in doing this is making your
documents more widely available to a wider variety of users.

Currently, we have a testbed that represents 25 institutions and
organizations
with over 700,000 records in it. You can view this testbed at our
partner institution's site:
http://oai.grainger.uiuc.edu/AboutRepository.htm. We are sharing tools
used to develop the repositories. UIUC is focusing on developing a
cultural materials repository, and UM is focusing on creating a
wide-ranging repository of free digital resources irrespective of
subject area or format.

If you have metadata that is available for harvesting, I look forward to
hearing from you about procedures for retrieving this metadata.

Thanks!
-Kat

Kat Hagedorn
OAIster Librarian