Re: Interview with Derk Haank, CEO, Elsevier

From: Jean-Claude Guédon <jean.claude.guedon_at_UMontreal.CA>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:54:01 -0500

Private research universities do not dominate research. They only play an
important role in research, and this mainly in the US, not elsewhere. In
Europe, this is completely untrue.

Moreover, even US private universities depend heavily on public money to
carry on their research. NSF, DoD and the like feed MIT, Harvard , Stanford
et tutti quanti.

Finally, private US research universities are "not for profit organizations".

I would also like to point out that the "hoarding" rhetoric is out of
bound... Soap boxes are confined to Hyde Park!

Whether universities have more revenue than before is totally beside the
point as I do not see why this extra revenue should be automatically
allocated to buying over-priced journals from the Elseviers of the world. I
would rather see universities spend their money on research or scholarships.

Finally, where did you ever get the fact that universities have cut their
library spending in half?

The problem, Mr. Henderson, is that you come back and back with the same
faulty arguments over and over again, as if you were a soldier obeying some
kind of orders to stonewall whatever is stated on e-publishing lists that
does not conform to the business logic of large commercial publishers.
Haven't you noticed that this attitude has already discredited you in the
eyes of most of the readers of this list? This is perhaps the reason why you
responded to me personally and not to the whole list. As you can see, I am
responding to you with the whole list in attendance.

Jean-Claude Guédon