Re: Author Self-Archiving versus Author/Institution Self-Archiving

From: Peter Suber <peters_at_EARLHAM.EDU>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 18:05:22 -0400

Roy,
      Sorry for the delay in replying.
      I stand corrected on the difficulty of setting up an eprints archive,
but I'm confident that the difficulty will continue to decrease as the
eprints software evolves.
      You give two reasons for wanting a new term to replace or supplement
"self-archiving": (1) this term isn't accurate when the archiving is
handled by staff rather than by authors directly, and (2) the term may
deter authors by suggesting that the process requires extra work from them.
      On the first: As Stevan has pointed out, "self-archiving" has "self"
in it not because authors do all the work but because authors are using
this means to disseminate their work without the mediation of editors or
publishers. So in this sense, it's still self-archiving even when
assisted. Similarly, one can be "self-employed" even when one has staff
assistance. If you're saying that term is widely misunderstood, then this
is a problem we should face squarely.
      Incidentally, there is a related kind of archive limited to the work
of one person. The makers of Kepler software call it an "archivelet". But
that is not at all what "self-archiving" has come to mean, let alone what
it originally meant.
      On the second: If the term "self-archiving" deters authors
because it suggests a lot of work on their part, then this is another
tactical issue we ought to face. We want to recruit authors, not frighten
them. But if you're saying that self-archiving *does* require a lot of
work from authors (when the archive itself already exists), that is not true.

>Even should the interface be dead simple, a number of faculty will
>nonetheless find other reasons not to do it. Therefore, our model is to
>use existing organizational structures within the university to do the
>depositing. That is, we target staff at university "organized research
>units" (institutes or centers) and academic departments for training in
>depositing the papers of their associated faculty. Our premise is that
>most faculty shouldn't ever have to know how to do it, just as many do
>not need to know or care about how what it takes to put their papers up
>on their institute's web site. So far it appears that this model will
>allow us to scale up this service fairly rapidly and minimize our
>support overhead.
>
>Therefore I think it does the effort to free online scholarship a
>disservice to conflate staff-supported institution-based repositories
>with "self-archiving". Were I a faculty member with interests other than
>freeing online scholarship (of which I assure you there are many) I
>would find the term "self-archiving" off-putting. I would wonder why on
>earth I should take over a task that had never been mine to begin with.

      I like your model very much. Universities should all be so
enlightened as to train staff to handle archiving in this way.
      But what about authors who have to deposit their own papers? Why
should they "take over a task that had never been [theirs] to begin
with"? The answer is simply to enlarge their audience and impact. It
takes effort to submit articles, read galleys, and fax corrections, but
authors do it willingly as part of the process of disseminating their
work. When an institutional or disciplinary archive already exists, and no
staff are available to deposit a faculty member's papers, then faculty will
find that depositing their own papers is a quick and easy way to
disseminate their work and reach the fellow researchers who can build on
their work. If the task is new or unfamiliar, at least it has a clear and
direct relationship to one of our primary interests, which cannot be said
for many tasks expected of faculty in a modern university. --In any case,
if this is a problem, I agree with you that the solution is to find staff
assistance for authors, not to pass over the opportunity for archiving.

      Best wishes,
      Peter