May 29 article in The Australian

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:26:28 +0100

Colin Steele wrote:

> The Australian newspaper featured a 2 page spread in its May 29 edition
> on "Serial Killers", with the sub-header, 'Faced with rising costs for
> journals, some universities are encouraging academics to publish in
> electronic repositories'. Unfortunately the text is not available on
> their website and only part of it seems to be available through Factiva,
> which is attached below but you might find it of interest in the continual
> global struggle.

Many thanks to Colin Steele for drawing attention to this material
(and for his splendid ongoing work in Australia).

The unfortunate title of this newspaper article (which is as much as
most people will read and take home as a message) perpetuates two of
the most common misunderstandings holding back open access:
It is not a matter of "killing serials" but of freeing their contents.
Nor is it a matter of "publishing in electronic repositories" but of
openly archiving already-published articles in them:

    "1.4. Distinguish self-publishing (vanity press) from self-archiving
    (of published, refereed research)"
http://cogprints.soton.ac.uk/documents/disk0/00/00/16/39/cog00001639-00/resolution.htm#1.4

In the article itself Colin Steele, makes all the requisite distinctions,
but the journalist's title manages to conflate them anyway! (It never
ceases to amaze me how interviewers can keep getting something so
fundamentally simple so systematically wrong!)

There are also a few minor points on which I would disagree with my
comrade-at-arms, Colin:

(1) I don't think access will be freed by author/university motivation
to lower journal prices. It will be freed by author/university
motivation to maximize research impact (hence also grant income).

(2) The emphasis is best placed on the author give-away literature
(peer-reviewed journal articles) rather than royalty-based literature
such as books, which authors are far less likely to want to make freely
accessible.

(3) The two BOAI strategies for hastening the transition to open access
should be kept distinct in the minds of researchers and their
universities: BOAI Strategy 1, author/university self-archiving, is
for immediately opening access to the contents of the world's 20,000
peer-reviewed journals, both before publication (preprints) and after
(postprints). BOAI Strategy 2, open-access journals, is to create new
open-access journals and to convert established journals to the
open-access model.

(4) It might perhaps be better to say that the goal is to adapt academic
culture so as to take advantage of the new possibilities opened up by
the online era -- rather than to "break" it!

(5) No changes in the academic reward structure are needed. Peer review
and research impact will continue to be the performance indicators under
open access just as they were before.

Stevan Harnad