Re: Book on future of STM publishers

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:42:23 -0400

The normal assumption in the sciences is that all of the worthwhile work
submitted for Ph.D. theses will be published in the ordinary literature.

In my own subject, especially in classical rather than molecular
biology, some theses are valuable nonetheless because they contain
detail not included in the published papers. We are asked for about 20 a
year by our students and staff, and we buy them, bind them, and add them
to the collection. In molecular biology the presence of important
non-published information is much rarer, and the publication is usually
available earlier than the thesis. I cannot speak in detail about other
scientific areas.

I do know that all of this is not in the least true in the humanities,
where many theses are either not published at all in any other form, or
are published several years later in revised form as a book.

Access to Ph.D. theses varies. Most recent US theses are available
through Proquest ($25.50 online download, $32 quality good paper copy).
They can often also be borrowed via interlibrary loan, either from the
university where the degree was awarded or, with luck, from some other
university that has purchased a copy--try OCLC.

Most UK theses are available through the British Library (at higher
prices) as Bill Oldroyd has just pointed out. Many European theses are
printed in very small editions, apparently under some unusual
arrangements. They can be borrowed in the US through the Center for
Research Libraries, which tries to get all those available. .

Theses at levels below the Ph.D. are considered much less likely to
contain high quality work, and their availability is sometimes very
limited.

--
David Goodman
Research Librarian and