Re: PostGutenberg Copyrights and Wrongs for Give-Away Research

From: Colin Day <colinday_at_HKUCC.HKU.HK>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 07:57:48 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stevan Harnad" <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
To: <AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM_at_LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 8:00 PM
Subject: Re: PostGutenberg Copyrights and Wrongs for Give-Away Research

> In the earlier, pre-codification "oral tradition," when the only
> "product" that poets, tale-tellers and musicians had in mind was their own
> real-time performance skill (a "service," I suppose), all they wanted was
> payment for their time! Their lifetime benefits came from the reputation
> of their performing skills, and I suppose they thought of those as their
> only legacy too.

In fact, there are examples of such people embedding their identity into
their poetry in such a way that others could not perform their poems without
giving due recognition to the original creator of the work. Recognition as
always been as powerful a motivator as financial reward, and as strong an
influence on the development of systems for asserting ownership.

Colin Day