Re: Paying Referees?

From: Manfredi M.A. La Manna <mlm_at_elsss.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 08:26:47 +0100

In my view, paying referees for the prompt return of full reports is an
essential part of a successful entry strategy in a market with enormous
barriers to entry. Especially in economics where the publishing process
is extremely protracted (for an excellent paper on this topic, see
Glenn Ellison's " The slowdown of the economics publishing process",
http://econ-www.mit.edu/faculty/gellison/files/jrnem.pdf).

On the more general issue of refereeing standards, see
Ellison's "Evolving standards for academic publishing",
http://econ-www.mit.edu/faculty/gellison/files/jrnth.pdf, which also
covers disciplines other than economics).

It is not a coincidence that two academic-driven recent attempts to enter
the economics journal market namely, bepress (www.bepress.com) and elsss
(http://www.elsss.org) both envisage non-trivial payments to referees.

Dr Manfredi M.A. La Manna
Reader in Economics