Re: Garfield: "Acknowledged Self-Archiving is Not Prior Publication"

From: Albert Henderson <chessNIC_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 00:37:51 +0100

    [Moderator's Note: Normally it is unsportsmanlike to use the
    moderator's prerogative to prepend a pre-emptive reply to a comment,
    but as Albert is clearly not reading the postings to which he is
    replying, time will be saved if it is wearily pointed out in advance
    that (1) Albert's minor point about certain potentially hazardous
    clinical research was already taken into account -- explicitly and
    in advance -- in Dr. Garfield's own quotation below, and that (2)
    Albert's secondary defense of the Ingelfinger Rule in all other
    fields of research as journalistic "scoop"-protection is precisely
    what the cited references on the Ingelfinger Rule and the New
    England Journal of Medicine below were rebutting -- if any rebuttal
    of such an arbitrary defense of suppressing access to scientific
    research on pop-journalistic grounds was wanted. It is noteworthy
    that Nature magazine dropped the Ingelfinger rule some time
    ago http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/#publishers-do and there are
    indications that Science magazine too will eventually have to follow
    suit -- leaving only the New England Journal of Medicine still
    trying to keep its authors playing by the Rule... SH]

> "I believe that posting and sharing one's preliminary publications
> [is] an important part of the peer... review process and does
> not justify an embargo by publishers on the grounds of 'prior
> publication'. It was not the case before the Internet, and except
> for unusual clinical situations, has not changed because of the
> convenience of the Internet." (Garfield, 2000)

Stevan Harnad fails to give Eugene Garfield full credit
below. Dr Garfield is indeed an outstanding information
scientist and innovator. He is also President and Editor-in-
Chief of The Scientist, a newspaper that emphasizes advances in
research. <http://www.the-scientist.com/masthead.htm>

News organizations that aim to "scoop" breaking news, like The Scientist,
The New York Times [NYT] and The Medical Tribune, are often frustrated
by the "Ingelfinger rule" of the New England Journal of Medicine [NEJM]
and other primary journals. The rule, named after the NEJM editor who
devised it, calls for rejecting any submission that was released in any
medium including press releases, interviews, etc. Observing the rule,
scientists won't talk to reporters about work which they plan to submit
to NEJM et al. In 1991, Dr. Lawrence K. Altman of the New York Times
ran an article -- more like a 'rant' -- excoriating the Ingelfinger rule
under the title "With lives at stake, issue is secrecy of data."

The reason for the rule given by NEJM, et al., is that unvetted
research may yield false conclusions. While this poses little danger
in some fields, in biomedicine it may be a menace to public health
and safety. Moreover, it is clear that many news organizations are
irresponsible, given to breathless announcements that the general public
takes to be endorsements of cures for cancer, heart disease, old age,
etc. While I don't think The Scientist and NYT are in the category of
breathless irresponsibility, it is clear that they and most preprint
readers are not equipped to evaluate research claims as thoroughly as
the editors of NEJM et al.

Albert Henderson
Former Editor, PUBLISHING RESEARCH QUARTERLY 1994-2000
<70244.1532_at_compuserve.com>