Re: Garfield: "Acknowledged Self-Archiving is Not Prior Publication"

From: Joseph J. Esposito <espositoj_at_att.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:45:27 -0700

Well, isn't this the whole point? I mean the ENTIRE point? The issue of
intellecutal property (or knowledge or whatever you want to call it)
dissemination has only a teeny weeny bit to do with its creation and a huge
amount to actually calling things to people's attention. This is what
publishers do. Only in exceptional cases do authors do this. And that is
why publishers work with copyright. Find another way to call things to
people's attention and copyright and publishers will disappear. I mean
REALLY call things to people's attention. Niche stuff is different and not
hard (I can always walk next door to talk to my neighbor), but reaching mass
market audiences is terribly difficult. The field of dreams is a dream. It
doesn't matter how open your eyes and minds are if the information doesn't
reach your senses.

Joe Esposito