Re: Perspectives in Electronic Publishing

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:12:46 +0100

Much as I am flattered by Stevan's and Gerry's generous and unprompted
comments about Perspectives in Electronic Publishing, it should be pointed
out that PeP has not been updated - neither content nor links - since I
began writing the final sections of my thesis towards the end of last year.

As part of the thesis, the model was subjected to rigorous review by a
select group of expert evaluators, who revealed a series of issues that
need to be addressed to improve the model. So while it would be fun to
update it, bringing new and old (e.g. journal papers that have become
freely available retrospectively) papers within the scope of its linking
service, the model needs restructuring before it can be considered a
serious tool for researchers in this field.

In particular, although I have enjoyed excellent advisory and technical
support http://aims.ecs.soton.ac.uk/pep.nsf/special/credits?opendocument
a new PeP will need more contributors. With a longer term view, I hope that
I, or someone else, might have the opportunity to tackle this project at
some stage.

Steve