Re: How many papers are there in the OAI-compliant archives?

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:25:01 +0000

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Imre Simon wrote:

> I would like to interest some people (and some Institutions too) in
> Brazil to start self-archiving their work. It would be helpful to have
> some statistics about the dimensions of the OAI-compliant archives and
> at what rate are they growing? What is the proportion of the papers
> whose full text is also available?
>
> Do these statistics exist, and where are they? So far I couldn't find
> them.
>
> In case they do not exist, what would be the most interesting numbers
> to measure? Don't you think that it would be wise to document the
> evolution of the dimensions of the OAI-compliant library while
> everybody is sweating to climb the mountain?

Kedves Imre,

The statistics exist, though they have not been collected
systematically. You are encouraged to gather the study, and
report the data (especially growth across time, which shows
some signs of picking up at last).

For the total annual number of peer reviewed articles (about 2,000,000,
in about 20,000 peer-reviewed journals worldwide) see, for example:
http://www.ulrichsweb.com/ulrichsweb/

For the proportion of them that institutional libraries can afford to
pay for toll-access to, see: http://www.arl.org/stats/index.html

For lists (not exhaustive) of OAI Archives, see:
http://oaisrv.nsdl.cornell.edu/Register/BrowseSites.pl
and
http://software.eprints.org/#sites

Among the OAI harvesters:
http://www.openarchives.org/service/listproviders.html
you will find, for example,
http://oaister.umdl.umich.edu/viewcolls.html
which indexes 858,709 records from 110 institutions (updated 3 October
2002), including 200,000 from the Phsyics ArXiv, which has tracked
its own growth statistics since 1991:
http://arxiv.org/show_monthly_submissions

But there are also huge non-OAI (or not-yet-OAI) open-access archives,
such as citeseer, with 600,000 harvested computer science papers:
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/statistics.html

But some time-series data on the growth of all of these archives would
certainly be very welcome, the objective being to get all of the annual
2,000,000 in all disciplines worldwide self-archived and open-access as
soon as possible.

Udvozlettel,

the American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01 & 02):

                            or
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html

Discussion can be posted to: american-scientist-open-access-forum_at_amsci.org

See also the Budapest Open Access Initiative:
    http://www.soros.org/openaccess

the Free Online Scholarship Movement:
    http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/timeline.htm

the OAI site:
    http://www.openarchives.org

and the free OAI institutional archiving software site:
    http://www.eprints.org/