Re: UK Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) review

From: <informania_at_SUPANET.COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:06:49 +0100

Tim,

Thanks for the very interesting and suggestive data.

At the risk of crossing threads, I wonder if this citation pattern is
peculiar to physics or, even more narrowly, to arXiv? As arXiv grows to
encompass more/all of physics, the volume of submissions should make the
"inbox of research" approach unfeasible. I can't see this ever being
possible in the biomedical field - not even now.

In contemporary medicine, the watchword is "evidence" - practice should
follow the best evidence, seen as a collection of research testimonials to
the validity of a particular course of action, or of controlled clinical
trials, rather than a single "high impact" paper. This evidence may go back
in time some way (there has been much trawling through the back-catalogue
for HIV/AIDS case reports, for example, as a number of these pre-date the
definition of HIV/AIDS and offer clues to the genesis of the syndrome). The
reading and citation results in the field are thus likely to be strongly
influenced by this pattern of research and reading.

It would be interesting to see empirical data such as you have gathered for
arXiv/physics from other fields.

Chris

Chris Zielinski
Director, Information Waystations and Staging Posts Network
Currently External Relations Officer, HTP/WHO
Avenue Appia, CH-1211, Geneva, Switzerland
Tel: 004122-7914435 Mobile: 0044797-10-45354
e-mail: zielinskic_at_who.int and informania_at_supanet.com
web site: http://www.iwsp.org