Re: The archival status of archived papers

From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang_at_inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 08:55:00 +0100

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 04:55:03PM -0600, Bob Parks wrote:
> Bernard Lang writes:
> >
> >right ...
> >
> > why not erase all historical mistakes from the history books ... so
> >that we can learn only how thing should go, and not how they can go
> >wrong.
>
> I was not speaking of books nor peer reviewed 'published' papers, but
> rather 'preprints' aka working papers. That is a different issue.
>
> Bob

I realize that. I only meant that information about mistakes made is
also information. There is no shame in having "published" (made
public) a mistake ... especially if you are the one to correct it.

And it is authentic data for science historians, or psychologist or
whatever to understand the scientific process.

It is good and useful to be able to label a version of a paper as
mistaken, so as to warn readers, and even to comment explaining why it
is, eevn why the error was made (actually all comments are good)
... but why remove the information.

  Small story that happened to me recently. Someone is developping a
project, and used a search engine to see how is project is referenced.
The first reference is a comment I made about 18 months ago,
criticizing the site (which had been promoted much too early). He
wrote to me asking whether I could do something about it.
Unfortunately, my comment was in the archive of a mailing list I do
not control, and I could do nothing.

  Now ... should my message be removed from the archive ?
I believe not. An archive is an archive.
Should the archive be made non accessible ? what use then ?

  The conclusion I came to is that I should be able to comment my
message in the archive (the date should be a comment by itself, but
apparently many people cannot read dates).

Regards

  Bernard