Re: Draft Policy for Self-Archiving University Research Output

From: Tim Brody <tdb01r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 16:19:09 -0000

If the author's employment contract states that their employer (the
University) reserves non-commercial distribution rights then that author can
not sign away those rights to a publisher (without the agreement of the
University).

In my opinion I would rather the IPR were held by the institution - who paid
for the research, facilities & support - rather than with the publisher. If
not for any other reason than an institution will rarely hold the same kind
of monopoly as the big publishers.

All the best,
Tim.